Skip to main content

How to find student accommodation in Australia

Have you been accepted to study in Australia? Looking for a place to live can be one of the most enjoyable parts of planning your move abroad. There are lots of housing opportunities for international students – and in this blog, we’ll take you through a few options.

We’ll explore accommodation around two popular universities – The University of Adelaide and The University of Melbourne to help you begin your search. We’ll also give you an idea about where you might look for housing in other cities around the country. 

What’s important to you? 

There are a number of things you should consider when deciding on a place to live. We recommend making a list of everything you want in a home. Having a clear idea about what kind of place you want to live in will help you to narrow down your housing options – and ensure you have the best possible experience abroad. Ask yourself:  

  • Do you want to live close to campus? 

  • Do you want to live in a house or an apartment?

  • Do you want to live in a social setting with roommates?

  • What amenities can’t you live without? (like air conditioning or high-speed internet)

  • And, of course, what is your budget? 

You might be interested in our blog: Australian loans for international students 

On-campus housing 

Nearly all major institutions in Australia offer on-campus accommodation for international students. Lots of people choose to live in these residences because they’re convenient and it’s really easy to get to class. University residences also provide international students with a supportive place to call home right upon arriving from abroad.

Living on-campus is a great opportunity to meet fellow students, too, because there are usually lots of social events planned throughout the semester. Accommodation can range from shared dorm rooms, single rooms, or private studio apartments, and can cost between $110-$280 AUD a week.

So, what do The University of Adelaide and The University of Melbourne offer?

Off-campus housing 

There is a whole range of housing options off-campus, too. Let’s explore:  

Student accommodation 

There are lots of private student accommodation options located close to universities. They are usually not managed by universities themselves. But they are designed specifically for students and usually have many of the same facilities as a student residence – such as food halls or study rooms.

Remember, even if you don’t live in a university residence, you can still have a full social life and take part in activities with fellow students.

Check out these resources to help find off-campus student accommodation in Melbourne and Adelaide: 

  • Adelaide Student Housing is a website made to help international students look for accommodation in the city. It’s run by the Government of South Australia and features more than two dozen student housing options – including places like UniLodge, Y Suites, and Atira Student Living. The website also lists weekly prices for each property, making it easy for international students to compare. Prices range between $105-$690 AUD a week.

  • Close to the University of Melbourne, you can also find places like UniLodge and Infinity Place. Prices for these two options range between $173-$589 AUD a week. If you want to look for more student housing locations check out the website  University Living, which lists accommodation for students in hundreds of cities around the world. 


Private rentals  

When you finally arrive in Australia, you might also decide to live on your own in an apartment. There are definitely some benefits to living in a private rental. You get more independence and privacy. You can also choose to live anywhere you like in your new city or town.

According to the government website Study Australia, rent can cost between $185-$440 AUD a week. You might also be asked to sign a lease for an extended period, which could give you less flexibility during your time abroad.

You can look for private rentals in Melbourne, Adelaide, and across Australia using websites like DomainGumtree, or

Living with roommates  

Sharing a house or apartment is a popular option for local and international students alike. It’s common for three or more people to share the same living space.

Overall, this arrangement gives you a great chance to meet other students or young professionals – and perhaps even form lasting friendships. Shared accommodation can cost between $95-$215 AUD a week. Just make sure to sign a contract so everyone is aware of their rights and responsibilities.

You can search for roommates on websites like or Flatmate Finders. Also check out university-specific community Facebook groups, where students often post rooms for rent.  


You might choose a homestay option, which means you’ll live with a local family. This might help you feel more supported and less isolated. You’ll also get the chance to practice your English skills in a home environment and possibly go on trips to visit local attractions, celebrate holidays, and experience your host family’s culture.

Homestays usually include meals, which can be a big plus for busy students. They can be arranged by an education agent in Australia, but there are a range of organizations you can look into for more information, as well – including  Australia Home Stay Network, and Study Vision.

As you can see, there are lots of accommodation options for international students across Australia. And the best part? Many are designed to support students’ needs and make them feel at home while abroad.

At PTE Academic, we’re also committed to helping students succeed. We have tons of resources for international students moving across borders – including articles on visas, cost of living, and scholarships around the world. Check them out!